063 - I Lift Up My Soul

Recently I've gotten a bunch of devotionals to review.  This devotional seemed to be a lot like many others.  Short clips from other books compiled into one devotional.  Unfortunately, for many readers these books feel like you can get a little of everything and nothing all at the same time.  The devotions range widely in topic, can be read through in about a minute, and somehow fool people into thinking that they've spent time with God.

However, if the reader uses this book in addition to a normal quiet time with God then it could be quite helpful.  I love Charles Stanley's writing and would assume he too would want his readers to first spend time with God, then spend time with his book.  In the right context this book can be a great tool, in the wrong hand it can be detrimental to spiritual growth.  If you buy this book for someone make sure to let them know it shouldn't replace reading their Bible.


Also, I’m supposed to let you know that I was given a free review copy of the book, but that has nothing to do with whether or not I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment