046 - The Soul of C. S. Lewis

For a book that is sold mostly by the fact that it has the name and face of C. S. Lewis printed on it, The Soul of C. S. Lewis offers very little actually written by him. Instead The Soul of C. S. Lewis takes one of Lewis’ quotes and offers a page long devotional thought on it. Don’t get me wrong, I love C. S. Lewis, but I wish Lewis would have been the main writer in this volume. Rather it was 13 various editors and contributors that wrote this book. I would recommend this book to someone who is looking for a good devotional, but not someone looking for the depth offered by Lewis. There’s just something wrong when you strip away all the complexity and offer something as deep as C. S. Lewis in short sentence clips. I was disappointed, I always felt that the beauty of Lewis was the slow pace the reader was forced to take and the constant mulling on his thoughts over in my own mind.

Also, I’m supposed to let you know that I was given a free review copy of the book, but that has nothing to do with whether or not I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment