010 - Velvet Elvis

So I sat down to re-read Velvet Elvis (by Rob Bell) the other day and quickly discovered why I enjoyed the book so much the first time through. Bell writes in a very conversational way, and seems to be alright with everyone. He is slow to pick a fight and pretty much wants to live in harmony with everyone. Velvet Elvis explores a more "post-modern" view of the church. Bell lands with the Emerging Church (even though he denies being a part of it) on many topics. His book is very popular among young people looking for a new way to look at their faith. To be honest, the first time I read through this book I was in Bible college and still sorting out where I was theologically. At that point it was one of the best books I had ever read. This time through I was still impressed and challenged, but came away disagreeing with Bell more than last time.

I would recommend this book to a variety of people. I would recommend it to those who hate Bell but have never read through any complete work he's written. I would recommend it to those who are needing a fresh take on Christianity. I would recommend it to those who perhaps have already read it and have grown since then. I advise that when reading through this book follow the advice written on the back cover, "Don't swallow it uncritically. Think about it. Wrestle with it." Bell humbly writes, "Just became I'm a Christian and I'm trying to articulate a Christian worldview doesn't mean I've got it nailed. I'm contributing to the discussion." Anyone who reads the books should keep these things in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment